Setbacks Don't Have to Be Fatal
"Success is not final,
failure is not fatal.
It is the courage to continue that counts."
- Winston Churchill
How we think about setbacks can determine whether we continue to move forward toward our goals and achieve them, or whether we give up. This is especially true when we're not feeling well emotionally.
Some things to consider that may help:
- Everyone has setbacks. Some of these setbacks are smaller than what you face. Some of them are larger. It's just part of the human experience.
- Be compassionate with yourself. You can't conquer the world (or pursue your goals) every minute of every day. No one can. Sometimes you just need to focus on doing things that nourish you emotionally and know that doing so is actually an important step toward reaching your goals.
- Setbacks can actually be helpful. Setbacks can provide great feedback to help you adjust and to move closer toward your goals. If you only had successes you'd never actually acquire this knowledge.
- Great satisfaction can result. Your biggest sense of satisfaction can result from accomplishments that were difficult and in which you kept moving forward even though it was uncomfortable. These are the accomplishments you'll look back on with great pride.
- Take the first step. To get started, you don't have to feel capable at this moment of handling every challenge you envision toward reaching your goals. Instead, progress only requires one step at a time. A small step is still progress and can lead you to bigger and bigger steps!
To get more content like this try the Moodfit app.